Salata Arabia is a finely chopped salad dressed with a zesty home made dressing. It’s a tasty well known salad in Palestine with a great variety of ingredients, and it goes with any main meal, and is always a healthy side dish. While the tomatoes and cucumbers are the staples of this salad, you can be creative with your choice of other ingredients; they key is the dressing and chopping.
As you can see from the photos, all of the ingredients are very finely chopped into roughly 1cm pieces. The closest cucumbers to the ones in Palestine are the Persian cucumbers that you can find at Trader Joe’s. English cucumbers will work as well, though. And again, be creative with the vegetables you have on hand! Sahtain!
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers or half an English cucumber
- 1/2 a cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 3-4 trimmed radishes
- 2 green onions; bulbs and leaves
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh mint, or 1 tbsp crushed dried mint
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to desired taste
- a pinch of Sumac (optional)
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces, mix them together in a bowl
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and sumac into a small bowl, whisk them well.
- When you’re ready to serve add the dressing to the chopped vegetables, mix it well.